NUR 514 The Evolution of Nursing Informatics Presentation Assignment
NUR 514 The Evolution of Nursing Informatics Presentation Assignment
As an advanced registered nurse leader, you have an opportunity effect change through the practice of nursing health informatics. Informatics has evolved over time to become what it is today. Using the resources provided in this assignment, prepare a 12-15 PowerPoint presentation. Create speaker notes of 100-250 words for each slide. Include an additional slide for the title and references. For the presentation of your PowerPoint, use Loom to create a voice-over or a video. Refer to the study materials for additional guidance on recording your presentation with Loom. Include an additional slide for the Loom link at the beginning and another at the end for References.
Include the following in your presentation:
1. Define nursing informatics.
2. Provide a brief history of the field of nursing informatics. Discuss how the specialty has evolved.
3. Discuss how nursing informatics affects nursing leadership, clinical practice, administration, education, and research.
4. Explain how organizational policy on health information systems can be affected or impacted by government regulation.
5. Discuss nurse-led innovation as it relates to the advances in informatics and how informatics innovation can be used to improve the quality of patient care.
6. Provide an example of the role of the nurse in transforming health care data into knowledge that can improve patient care using nursing informatics practice.
You are required to cite three to five sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and nursing content.
Refer to the resource, “Creating Effective PowerPoint Presentations,” located in the Student Success Center, for additional guidance on completing this assignment in the appropriate style.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Course Materials if you need assistance.
Topic 5 DQ 1
Review the American Nursing Informatics Association (ANIA) website and discuss the resources that you found there. Discuss how the website might be used for networking in the nursing informatics profession.
Topic 5 DQ 2
Explain the role of the nurse leaders in implementing innovative care models. Explain how innovative modes of care affect collaboration between advanced registered nurses and other stakeholders in the industry.
Topic 5: Cost-Effective, Innovative Models of Care Delivery
1. Define nursing informatics and how the specialty has evolved.
2. Analyze how nursing informatics affects nursing leadership, clinical practice, administration, education, and research.
3. Describe the role of the nurse in transforming health care data into knowledge that can improve patient care.
4. Explain how innovative models of care affect collaboration between advanced registered nurses and other stakeholders across the industry.
5. Describe the role of the nurse leader in implementing innovative care models.
Read Chapter 5 in Leadership in Nursing Practice: Changing the Landscape of Health Care. Review Chapter 1.
CMS -Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs): General Information
Read “Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs): General Information,” located on the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) website (2015).
CMS – Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs)
Read “Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs),” located on the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) website (2015).
Productivity and Quality of Hospitals That Joined the Medicare Shared Savings Accountable Care Organization Program
Read “Productivity and Quality of Hospitals That Joined the Medicare Shared Savings Accountable Care Organization Program,” by Highfill and Ozcan, from International Journal of Healthcare Management (2016).
Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs)
Read “Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs),” by Dewey, from Salem Press Encyclopedia of Health (2020).
Nursing Informatics Certification Worldwide: History, Pathway, Roles, and Motivation
Read “Nursing Informatics Certification Worldwide: History, Pathway, Roles, and Motivation,” by Cummings, Gundlapalli, Gundapalli, Murray, Park, and Lehmann, from Yearbook of Medical Informatics (2016).
Emergence of Nursing Innovation Influenced by Advances in Informatics and Health IT
Read “Emergence of Nursing Innovation Influenced by Advances in Informatics and Health IT,” by Kelly, from Nurse Leader (2019).
Assessing Nurses’ Informatics Competency and Identifying its Related Factors
Read “Assessing Nurses’ Informatics Competency and Identifying its Related Factors,” by Khezri and Abdekhoda, from
Journal of Nursing Research in Nursing (2019).
American Nursing Informatics Association
Explore the American Nursing Informatics Association (ANIA) website.
Topic 5 Participation
This course examines the role of leadership, organizational science, policy, and informatics in supporting safe,
high-quality, cost-effective patient care within interprofessional, dynamic health care environments. Learners explore various organizational relationships within health care systems and prepare to participate in the design of cost-effective, innovative models of care delivery and practice change proposals. Professional leadership theories and how they shape the nurse leader in such things as collaboration, conflict resolution, decision-making, and negotiation are introduced.
Learners discuss change management theories and evaluate the ethical, social, legal, economic, and political implications of practice change and health care informatics along with strategies for managing human, fiscal, and health care resources in a variety of organizational systems. Learners also examine the uses of patient-care, information systems, and communication technologies and discuss the design, implementation, and evaluation of electronic health record systems and clinical decision support systems.
Weberg, D., Mangold, K., Porter-O’Grady, T., & Malloch, K. (2019). Leadership in nursing practice: Changing the landscape of health care (3rd ed.). Jones & Bartlett Learning. ISBN-13: 9781284146530
Nursing Informatics and the Foundation of Knowledge
McGonigle, D., Mastrian, K. G. (Eds.). (2018). Nursing informatics and the foundation of knowledge(4th ed.). Jones & Bartlett Learning. ISBN-13: 9781284121247
This text will be used as a resource throughout your program. Download the book in this course so it can be accessed as needed in subsequent courses.
NUR-514 Course Objectives
In this course, the learner will:
1. Explore various health care system and organizational relationships (e.g., stakeholders, economic, financial, political, ethical issues, organizational structure, and delivery of care, including mission/vision/philosophy and values).
2. Discuss professional leadership theories and how they shape the nurse leader in such things as collaboration, conflict resolution, decision making, and negotiation.
3. Discuss change management theories and strategies and the ethical, social, legal, economic, and political implications of practice change on nursing practice decisions.
4. Analyze the impact of health care policy on health care organizations and cost-effective quality care.
5. Evaluate strategies for managing human, fiscal, and health care resources in the design of cost-effective, innovative models of care delivery or practice change proposals.
6. Explore current and emerging patient care, information system, and communication technologies that can deliver and enhance safe, high quality, cost-effective patient care and health outcomes.
7. Examine the implications of health care informatics and the role of the advanced registered nursing specialties leader on performance measures and standards related to quality.
8. Discuss the design, implementation, and evaluation of electronic health record systems and clinical decision support systems.
9. Evaluate legal (HIPAA), ethical, reimbursement, emerging technologies, and interprofessional issues related to informatics and information systems.
Refer to the LopesWrite webpage for guidance regarding assignments requiring submission to LopesWrite.
APA Writing Style
APA Style is required for all writing assignments in this course, where indicated. Please prepare these assignments according to the APA Style Guide, located in the in the Student Success Center.
You may want to consider purchasing a copy of the APA style guide as this will be a useful resource throughout your program
The Writing Process
View “The Writing Process” media presentation for information on how to strengthen your writing for future assignments.
University Policy Handbook
Read the Code of Conduct and Academic Standards section of the University Policy Handbook.
Library Walk Through Tutorial
View the “Library Walk Through Tutorial.”
Read the “About LopesWrite” and “Plagiarism” sections of the Academic Integrity page of the GCU website.
GCU Library: General Research Guide
Review the “General Research” guide, located on the GCU Library website.
GCU Library: Persistent Links
Review “Persistent Links,” located on the GCU Library website, to learn how to locate persistent links for library articles, videos, etc.
RefWorks and EndNote: RefWorks and EndNote Login
Manage your citations with the RefWorks tool, located on the GCU Library website. RefWorks automates the creation of your reference lists in the format of your choice (APA, MLA, etc.).
GCU Library Research Guides: Citing Sources
Reference the “GCU Library Research Guides: Citing Sources” resource for information on how to cite sources properly.
APA Writing Checklist
Use the “APA Writing Checklist” to act as a checklist for each paper you will write throughout your GCU graduate program.
Discussion Forum Guidelines and Example
Review the “Discussion Forum Guidelines and Example” document for your weekly discussion forum participation.